Unnoticed signs of water damage in a home can be an indication of previous flooding or foundation leaks. A thorough property inspection can detect these signs and alert the prospective buyer of a potentially serious issue. Platinum Property Inspections will look for signs of basement flooding when inspecting homes in Prescott.
When performing a home inspection, a trained inspector will always look for signs of water damage in the basement. Older homes are especially vulnerable to water problems in the basement, as cellars often sit below the water table. Wet basements are caused by foundation cracks. The problem can also be a lack of proper water drainage systems. There may be a missing sump pump or sewage backup valve. Most real estate agents will recommend a home inspection to a potential buyer for protection from significant repair costs from a flooded basement in the future.
Common signs of water damage in unfinished and finished basements are:
- A moist or musty odor in the basement – This indicates the possibility of mold. Mildew and mold (which can be very unhealthy) grow when wet places do not dry out properly.Peeling paint or wallpaper
- Spongy carpeting, indicating damage under padding or carpeting
- Water stains around window panes and casements
- Any kind of water marks or evidence of water on the walls
- Cracks in the foundation of a house visible both inside and outside
Signs of water damage that have gone unnoticed can be an indication of potentially serious future problems in your home. Platinum Property Inspections looks for signs of basement flooding as part of their thorough home inspections in Prescott. For a professional property inspection, call Platinum Property Inspections at 928-713-0889.